End of a tiring week by watching the rurouni kenshin movie!
I've always liked the series, having watched it since I was a kid.
when  I re-watched and reread it 2 years ago I fell in love with it all over again, but this time, for different reasons.
when I was younger, the story was what enthralled me. Solid story telling, likable and well developed characters, awesome action sequences, and the anime had a fantastic music score.
of course I still love all that about the series. Now though, I can more fully appreciate the themes in the story, the subtle nuances, the tragedy, and most of all the strength that kenshin displays.
the story resonates so well with me because I finally understand why hiko was so frustrated with kenshin, just how broken kenshin was, how the lack of that one fundamental thing could kill him. The loss of his will to live.
for a majority of people, their will to live isn't something they've ever thought to question, it's automatic, intuitive, after all why wouldn't you want to live? That will to live has been the single most driving force of our ancestors ever since the start of our species, spurring us on to adapt and change, to progress.
you can't possibly imagine what it's like not having it, just how fundamentally important it is, until you lose it.
I'll admit that I've lost it. I've lost it for awhile now.
every night, as I'm lying in bed before I fall asleep, I fantasize about not waking up again, about closing my eyes and never having to open them anymore.
every morning, I open my eyes and the first thing that hits me is the disappointment at having lived through another day, at still being alive, and the resignation at having to continue on.
everyday, I carry on, pretending that I'm normal. I try sometimes, but I open my mouth and no words come. How exactly would one even bring this subject up anyway?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog